With this project I had to do so much problem solving, it was such a headache!
When I first made the mold for the concrete, I had simply just screwed together 4 sheets of 3/4 inch plywood and then used tie-downs for extra support to keep it together. The plywood had also been lined with packaging tape so it could be released from the concrete.
I quickly realized though that this mold would probably tear apart from the weight of the wet concrete, so I attached 2x4 wooden supports to help keep everything enforced.
This was the inside structure of sculpture. As a way to save money and reduce the weight of the sculpture, I tried to make a hollow center. I bought one of those cardboard tunnels used to pour concrete, cut it down with a japanese saw, and epoxy-ed two plywood boards at each end. Then I wrapped chicken wire around the tunnel so the concrete could have something to attach to, otherwise it would’ve just crumble apart when it dried.
And this is right after I took apart the mold once the concrete had set!
The sculpture is kind of permanently stuck on the dolly, since it weighs around 800lbs. If I could do it again, I would’ve tried to find a way to hide the dolly…I just wasn’t even thinking about how I would transport it at the time.
When I documented the piece, I just cropped out the bottom portion.
Hope this helps!